Sunday, October 16, 2005

 

Giving what to whom?

I’ve been reading Land of a Thousand Hills – the biography of Ros Carr in Rwanda, and there’s a part where she went to this Jubilee for the new king or "mwami." He is presented with so many gifts but is very nonchalant and not at all grateful for them. Ros was shocked to see that the gifts are not acknowledged and expresses her thoughts to her Rwandan friend, Edouard. He responds quite matter-of-factly (and I quote):

"'But, Madame, everything in Ruanda belongs to the mwami! The land, the crops, the people, and the animals are all his!' Why, indeed would a person be grateful for a gift that already belongs to him?"

Hmmm.....

Then today, we were singing a song in team worship:
"Jesus, what can I give? What can I bring?
To so faithful a friend, to so loving a king?
Savior, what can be said? Oh, what can be sung?
As the praise of your name for the things you have done
Oh, my words cannot tell, not even in part
Of the debt of love that is owed...by this thankful heart."

It just made me think back to what I read yesterday......I mean, really what can we give?

Comments:
Hey, Beth! So exciting to hear of your adventures! Hang in there. We were right there at the source of the Nile so I can picture everthing so perfectly. Watch for hippos! Love you. Michael and Rachel
 
Hey there Beth! I'm glad you included the link to your blog in the last e-mail you sent the church. I have a friend from Harding who is a missionary, I thought in Uganda but I'm not sure. This is his blog http://audienceofone.cc/, and his name is Murphy Crowson.

--Jema
 
beth you are so wonderful
i am anxious to see you even though it may be a while. stay strong
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?