Sunday, January 15, 2006

 

Thanksgiving--Mbarara Style

The night before Thanksgiving, I was sitting in the dark, peeling and cutting potatoes with the help of Mark Long (a missionary from Kampala). I was one of two people assigned to make mashed potatoes for everyone. The next morning, my sore little hands were peeling and cutting apples so I could make apple pies. I spent the morning battling for the use of our oven (since Terri was cooking the turkey and making dressing--with a BLENDER!).

RUSH, RUSH, RUSH…you know me, always running late. I finally got my things made for our Thanksgiving feast (including 2 apple pies with homemade crusts) and made it to the Bakers’ home in time for our 1:00 lunch. It was my first time in the downstairs part of their house, since they have been getting their kitchen re-done (termites, I think!). Interestingly, the tradition of our team is to have ribs, because the turkeys are small and expensive (mostly imported from America?) and just aren’t too great. (In the past, some teams have even tried to raise and kill their own!) Everything was delicious and the company was great too. It just didn’t really feel like Thanksgiving, because it wasn’t cold, there wasn’t any football, and we didn’t even have sweet potato pie. . .

After our scrumptious meal, we had the chance to see the team kids perform a few holiday songs and even a little skit. Then we headed to the Naramores’ home to play some flag football, kickball and some other outdoor relays and games. It was lots of fun. We made our way back to the Bakers’ home to eat leftovers for dinner and then we had a great devotional, followed by lots of fun party games.

Overall, Thanksgiving 2005 was a wonderful time with good friends and good food. I am thankful for the good friends I have made here in Mbarara so far. I am especially thankful for the opportunity I have to be here, experiencing all that I am experiencing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?