Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Mbale Quarterly Meeting

Four times a year, all Church of Christ Missionaries in Uganda get together, hence the name "quarterly meeting." This particular meeting was supposed to be held during election week back in February, but instead got pushed to the last weekend in March.

So, the main reason for heading out to Mbale was for business, but it ended up being one of the most fun times I've had since being here in Uganda. I mean, I had a FANTASTIC time! Left one Thursday right after school and stopped in Kampala for the night. LOVE Darla for housing us ALL THE TIME! Not the best night of sleep though, because power was out, there were tons of mosquitoes and I was HOT! No big deal though...

Next morning headed out with Darla and Mark (after spending several hours at the airport trying to pick up someone's lost luggage) to Mbale. Arrived at the "teachers' house" around 5 and then went out to Oasis for dinner. GREAT food, great company, great time in general! Power was out, but when we got back, we hung out and played some crazy games or something. Slept well...with a mosquito net!

Saturday morning we went walking and then to a coffee factory. I am in LOVE with that place. I could live there...mmmm...the smell of fresh coffee!! Anyhow, it was fun (check out my pictures: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bethellent/my_photos) to learn about the process the coffee bean goes through to become drinkable! We bought some coffee and I even got to help pack my beans into a bag. The lady would not let me use the big special heat sealer machine, but it's all good...

So then we made a quick stop at the market (check out the picture of the fish just chilling!), had a late lunch and then dinner and then went to a time of worship. Went back with our wonderful hostesses (Becca, Jamie, and Rachel) and played some more games and then went to bed.

Sunday was church, followed by a catered lunch with everyone and then our business meeting (not so much fun). Ran around town and helped prepare dinner for all the singles, which our hostesses graciously provided. Went to a special thingy for the Shelbournes who have been here TEN YEARS, followed by a game night.

Monday, we went walking again and then to Sisyi Falls...not really sure if I'm spelling it right, but you pronounce it CC falls. Anyhow, a very lovely day. Weather couldn't have been better, nor the company. There are lots of pictures of this beautiful place on my pictures sight, so make sure you check them out! There were lots of monkeys just flying through the trees, and there were some cool looking lizards, not to mention the interesting looking trees and the cactus growing on top of a huge boulder! There were Tarzan-like vines hanging down from some of the trees and roots that you could climb! So, great day overall! Then we went and got take-out from Oasis and went to play games with the Linda Tyler and Andrea Baker (husbands were all in Kenya at the Annual Men's Retreat). There, we determined (finally) my Meyer's-Briggs personality type: ENFP--in case you're wondering!

Tuesday was a school day. Andrea and I met with the "administrator" of their school (Danetta) to pick her brain. We had lunch at school with the teachers and then I spent the day working on school stuff. POWER actually came on at their house for the FIRST time since I had been there and stayed on about 5 hours!!!

Wednesday, school started with a devo, followed by games and water balloon tosses! Then we all (kids, teachers, moms, etc.) walked to the pool for the afternoon. That afternoon I went putt putt golfing with Andrea and the boys! Then we were supposed to have a ladies' Bible study or something but since power was out and the generator wasn't working right at the house we were supposed to go, they cancelled it. Fortunately, they didn't cancel it until after we piled in the back of the pick-up truck to go pick up Heidi. So we sat in the back of the truck and got to see the beautiful stars! Jamie and I even sang a song! Another great day!

Thursday was when we said goodbye to the Mbale girls and I headed back to Jinja with Andrea. There we met her husband, Jay, and the other guys for lunch at this Mexican restaurant, which was actually GOOD! Then I rode with a couple of guys to Kampala where Darla let me stay at her house AGAIN! We made pizza and attempted to make icecream, then we played cards with the Bakers and Mark Long and Scott Glisson. Pinnochle!!! I know you may not believe this, but this was my 7th great day in a row!!!

And that's essentially where my Mbale story ends....the rest of the trip involves going to Luwero to visit an orphanage....but that's a whole other story. Check back later for that....

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?